Citizen G'kar: Musings on Earth

July 05, 2009

Al Franken's secret

United States Senate candidate Al Franken spea...

Image via Wikipedia

Paul Krugman Blog - NYTimes.com
David Broder has a column this morning calling for bipartisanship. I know, you're shocked. But what struck me was this bit about Al Franken:

Two points.
First, implicit in this characterization of Franken is the notion of the Senate as a decorous gentlemen's club. I doubt that club ever existed in reality; but in any case, these days the World's Greatest Deliberative Body is, not to put too fine a point on it, chock full o' nuts. James Inhofe: I rest my case.
Second, Al Franken's dirty secret is that ... he's a big policy wonk.
I used to go on Franken's radio show, all ready to be jocular -- and what he wanted to talk about was the arithmetic of Social Security, or the structure of Medicare Part D.
In fact, the only elected official I know who's wonkier than Al Franken is Rush Holt, my congressman -- and he used to be the assistant director of Princeton's plasma physics lab. (The campaign's bumper stickers read, "My Congressman IS a rocket scientist.")
So what will Franken do to the level of Senate discourse? He'll raise it.
Related articles by Zemanta
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: