Citizen G'kar: Musings on Earth

November 20, 2009

What Makes a Young Person Embrace Death and Murder? Former Jihadists Speak Out

Want to understand how a Jihadi thinks? Here is an excellent in-depth article from one of the premiere progressive news sources in America.

What Makes a Young Person Embrace Death and Murder? Former Jihadists Speak Out | World | AlterNet:
LONDON, ENGLAND APRIL 3: A composite of undate...Image by Getty Images via Daylife
So when he was 13, he joined an Islamic fundamentalist organisation called Jimas. At big sociable conferences every weekend, they were told: you don't feel at home in Britain, but you can't go "home" to a country you have never visited. So we have a third identity for you – a pan-national Islamism that knows no boundaries and can envelop you entirely.
It sounds familiar. This is the identity I hear shouted by young Islamists throughout the East End: I might sound like you, but I am nothing like you. I am Other. I belong elsewhere – in a place that does not yet exist, but that I will create, with my fists and my fury.
Jimas told their members they were part of a persecuted billion, being blown up and locked down across the world. "It was a bit like a gang," he says. "And we had a strong sense of being under siege. It was all a conspiracy against Islam, and we were the guardians of Islam. That's how we saw ourselves ... A lot of my friends would wear the army boots, and carry knives." I realise now that for a nebbish intellectual boy, it must have felt intoxicating to be told he was part of a military movement that would inevitably conquer history.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: