Citizen G'kar: Musings on Earth

May 25, 2007

Gore Hasn't Ruled Out Running for President

Since Barry Goldwater, politicians have decided that being too honest will get you rejected by the voters. Because of dishonest politicians, our country is in grave danger of losing it's democracy.
Perhaps, the greatest statesman of our time is speaking out. Having already lost an election being percieved as "wishy washy" waffling on the issues, he's been bluntly honest ever since. Perhaps because of that, he's not running for President.
But would he accept a draft from the floor of the convention? I'd bet my paycheck he would.
New York Times Blog
On whether he may run for president again, and what it would take for him to run:


“I’m not looking for factors that will cause me to run. I’m not – some people here have heard me answer this question enough times that I worry about being repetitious. It’s true that I haven’t completely ruled it out, I don’t think it’s necessary to do that. I don’t expect to run, so I don’t know how to answer that question.”


“Maybe at some point in the future I will have some interest in doing that again. But I don’t feel that right now.”


On whether he believed the Supreme Court stole the 2000 presidential election with its decision in Bush v. Gore:


“I’ve chosen not to challenge the rule of law, because in our system there really is no intermediate step between a Supreme Court decision and violent revolution. When the Supreme Court makes a decision, no matter how strongly one disagrees with it, one faces a choice –are we, in John Adams’ phrase, a nation of laws, or is it a contest made on raw power?”


On whether he believes he won the state of Florida in 2000:


“I don’t know. Maybe I’ll write another book about that.”


On the state of American democracy:


“Mark my words: it is in danger today, it has been weakened to a very dangerous degree. The politicians are paralyzed. The system is not going to right itself until we, all of us, take a much greater responsibility in participating as citizens.”

No comments: